A volunteer project at the Cube is a marvelous opportunity to participate behind the scenes in this hands-on museum. In exchange for contributing your time and sharing your talents, you can engage your curiosity by learning new things, interact with visitors and volunteers, and most of all, have fun!
Cube volunteers are dedicated to hosting guests and fostering the mission and goals of Discovery Cube. They take on a wide variety of roles, ranging from teaching science on the exhibit floor to interacting with guests and helping out with all of our back office needs.
The Cube has a strong and active group of teen volunteers who donate the majority of their time to us on weekends, the holidays, and in the summer. We are looking for volunteers who are outgoing, passionate, and enjoy working with the public. Teens are welcome to serve in the same positions as adults and do not need previous volunteer experience.
Discovery Cube is looking to grow our adult volunteer base. We need volunteers who are able to donate their time during the week as we see over 70,000 students a year on field trips. Tabletop and exhibit presentations run by volunteers make a huge difference in our guest experience and create a positive lasting impression. A teaching background is not required; we are simply looking for people who are outgoing and passionate about giving back to their community.
Discovery Cube offers group volunteer opportunities to high school, college, and corporate groups at our special events. To learn more about upcoming opportunities, contact the Volunteer Department at 714-913-5028 or email@example.com. Please provide us with group leader information (name, phone number, e-mail, school and club name) and you’ll be asked to confirm the number of volunteers in your group two weeks before the event date.
Who Can Apply to Become a Volunteer?
All volunteers have to be at least 15 years of age. All applicants 18 and over will have to submit to a background check. Unfortunately, we cannot accept volunteers who are serving community service hours due to a crime or diversion program.
Things to Consider
Discovery Cube’s Volunteer Services team is committed to providing volunteers with a positive and meaningful experience. We believe that one of the most important things for both volunteers and the organization is volunteer and organizational fit. Volunteering should be fun, rewarding, and impactful for volunteers and the community they service.
A few things to know before you start the application process:
- Make sure to scroll down and check for paperwork deadlines. Interview dates and orientation dates will be provided to you once all of your completed application is turned in.
- The complete application process includes an online form, a resume, a letter of recommendation if you under 18, and an interview.
- Applications are held on file for 3 months from the date the online form is submitted.
- If you are 14, you may start the application process one month before your 15th birthday.
- We know that you may have a lot of questions—we will be happy to answer them for you via email, phone, or during your interview.
Discovery Cube takes pride in our appearance. Volunteers are required to adhere to our dress code and appearance guidelines:
- Closed toe black or brown shoes
- No visible tattoos or facial piercings
- Full length black pants (no jeans or denim, no tight fitting pants or extremely loose-fitting pants)
- Volunteers must complete a minimum of 60 hours before the Volunteer Department will verify or sign any paperwork
- We highly recommend that all volunteers provide their own locks for lockers
How to Apply
If you are ready to begin your journey to becoming a Discovery Cube LA volunteer, you can start the application process now!
- Step 1. Fill out our easy online application: click here >
- Step 2. Tell us how awesome you are! Teen volunteer applicants are required to submit a resume and a letter of recommendation. Adult volunteers are required to submit a resume.
Your resume can include classes you have taken, activities that you are involved in, hobbies, grades, or anything else that you would like to share with us. Your letter of recommendation should come from someone that you have worked with in a professional manner such as teachers, coaches, religious leaders, personal mentors, or previous supervisors. We do not accept letters from friends or family members.
In order to secure an interview you will need to submit all your required paperwork to us ahead of time. Your resume and letter of recommendation must be mailed to us; post marked by the deadline to be considered for the following interview session. Please mail your paper work to the address below
Discovery Cube Orange County
Attn: OC Teen Volunteer Application or OC Adult Volunteer Application
2500 N. Main St.
Santa Ana, CA 92705
- Step 3. You’re almost there. We would like to meet you in person! Once your online application is completed and all of your required paper work is submitted, we will reach out to you for an interview.
- Step 4. This is it! During your interview, you will find out a little bit about our organization, what volunteers do, and what our expectations are. This is also a good time to ask any questions that you might have. Good Luck and we hope to see you there!
If you have any questions during the application process, please feel free to email us at volunteerOC@discoverycube.org or call us at 714-913-5028. Visit our Volunteering FAQ to learn more!
Volunteer Application Dates
** No New Volunteer Interviews or Orientations in April or May**
June New Volunteer Dates
- May 29 – Paperwork Due
- June 10 – Interview Sessions (by appointment only)
- June 17 – Interview Sessions (by appointment only)
- June 24 – Volunteer Orientation (by appointment only)
- June 25 – Volunteer Orientation (by appointment only)
July New Volunteer Dates
- June 26 – Paperwork Due
- July 8 – Interview Sessions (by appointment only)
- July 15 – Interview Sessions (by appointment only)
- July 23 – Volunteer Orientation (by appointment only)
- July 29 – Volunteer Orientation (by appointment only)
** No New Volunteer Interviews or Orientations in August or September**
October New Volunteer Dates
- September 25 – Paperwork Due
- October 14 – Interview Session (by appointment only)
- October 28 – Volunteer Orientation (by appointment only)