Inspired by Rube’s original illustrations, the exhibit contains a collection of new 3D, life-size machines and hands-on, interactive components that connect Rube’s iconic cartoon contraptions to the way things work in the physical world. Rube Goldberg machines are many things, but they aren’t perfect.
Find the fun in failure as you step into the role of illustrator, storyteller and inventor. You’ll find these things and more in the exhibit:
- Activate and create crazy chain-reaction contraptions that use everyday objects to complete simple tasks in the most overcomplicated, inefficient and hilarious ways possible!
- Move balls and ramps to trigger chain reaction machines in Wall Machines, then figure out how they work by resetting each part.
- Create your own hilarious cartoon in the Art Studio and then see how it looks at the Revolvometer.
- Pull ropes to start a series of musical chain reactions in the large-scale sound animation Music Machine.
- Step into one of Rube’s iconic wearables, “Self-Operating Napkin.”®, for a one-of-a-kind photo op.